#1 exec

exec

the Creator

• Administrators
  • 157 posts
  • Characters:Zerono
  • Server:Mari (NA)

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

As I've indicated in my last thread, the server mabinoger was running on was pretty old, and wasn't able to handle the increased traffic we got lately. Today I've finally set up a new server, which should help us to not run into similar problems again any time soon. I'm still tweaking it while I'm writing this (not even the main site is up yet actually^^), but I don't expect any major problems. If you do notice anything, don't hesitate to tell me, so I can fix it asap.

#2 exec

exec

the Creator

• Administrators
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

And now the site and Wiki are running again as well.

#3 SnowFlake

SnowFlake

the Experienced

• Moderators
  • 119 posts
  • LocationBelgium
  • Characters:Littlesnowie (Human - Mage)
  • Server:Tarlach (NA)

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

Awesome, think it can handle A LOT more now? =D

#4 exec

exec

the Creator

• Administrators
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

The new server is literally 8 times better than the old one. Yes, I'm confident it can handle A LOT more now =)

#5 SnowFlake

SnowFlake

the Experienced

• Moderators
  • 119 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

Eh, 8 times? Wouldn't that really push up the cost of the thing?

#6 exec

exec

the Creator

• Administrators
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Funnily enough, no. The old server was about 6 years old. Upgrading a machine is costly with some hosters, so I never did that, while technology advanced. Back then I got an up-to-date system, and now I got one again, for the same price.

#7 SnowFlake

SnowFlake

the Experienced

• Moderators
  • 119 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

That's great!

Anyway, about something else, look at this:

http://mabinoger.com...er:Code/sandbox

That's an idea Code gave for the main page of the wiki, but I'd have to ask you a few things about it.

First of all, the box "Recent Community News" is gonna keep getting bigger every time we update it, we tried to figure out how to limit it and add a scrollbar to it instead, but had no idea how, do you know a way?

Second, we'd want to have the section "Article of the day" change daily (dunno if possible, but we could do it manually too)

and are thinking of having the part "did you know" show a different bit of trivia every time the page is visited.
(We could make a list for the randomiser to choose from, if needed)

What do you think is possible on the wiki?

#8 exec

exec

the Creator

• Administrators
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

Code's idea looks okay. About limiting the size, "overflow:auto;height:x", simply specify the max size and tell it to hide overflowing content, or add scrollbars. I'm not too sure how well that works with tables though, so you might have to make a wrapper div. But I can help you with that.

Article of the day... I actually wanted to add something like a random article back when I started the Wiki. I didn't do it, although technically possible, because the random system would come up with articles that can't be put in such a box easily, like recipes and stuff. How would the articles get selected? Choosing one every day by hand could become tedious. And choosing them based on a hits list could again be problematic.

A "Did you know?" feature on the other hand is rather easy. You just gotta collect enough trivia so it doesn't get boring^^

#9 exec

exec

the Creator

• Administrators
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

Check Code's page for an example of the new <random> tag and scrolling. I'd like to recode the main site myself though once the layout is finished, that's one hell of a mess =X

#10 SnowFlake

SnowFlake

the Experienced

• Moderators
  • 119 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

Ohohoo!

Sure, it looks good that way (the code behind it looks simpler than what I had been thinking of, too)

I'll get Code to look at it later too.

#11 SnowFlake

SnowFlake

the Experienced

• Moderators
  • 119 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

View Postexec, on 17 August 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

Check Code's page for an example of the new <random> tag and scrolling. I'd like to recode the main site myself though once the layout is finished, that's one hell of a mess =X

Well you're free to re-adjust the main page if you want, other than it being big, I don't see much of a problem the way it currently is.

Unless you got a refreshing design in mind, of course!

#12 exec

exec

the Creator

• Administrators
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

I was referring to the way the news were added in the current main page^^

#13 Code

Code

Fresh from Soul Stream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Characters:Code2008

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

Well, I wasn't sure if there was a way we could just present the entire front page of the Wiki or not. Most people never look for the links there, they just use the search bar of course, so the front page could be used for other odds and ends like the stuff we had shown:

*Did you know trivia
*Recent Events/News
*Page of the day

etc.

My wiki editting skills are beginner unfortunately, and I do try and help out where I can, haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users